Ten Important Facts Homeowners Should Know About Mold
1. Mold exposure in your basement can be dangerous to you your family and even your pets. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory issues.
2. The most efficient way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture levels.
3. If mold is a problem in your basement, you must clean it up and eliminate its source.
Cleaning is NOT enough
4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth. The experts at Basement Solutions will do a free waterproofing inspection for you to identify the source of humidity or water, and give you affordable options.
5. Reducing indoor humidity (to 30-60%) will decrease mold growth. This can be done by using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans. Basement Solutions can install egress windows and bilco doors to ensure that your basement is properly ventilated. We also install Humidex systems that will control your humidity and drastically reduce the risk of fungal growth.
6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent fungal growth.
7. Clean mildew off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, need to be replaced.
Seek advise for professional waterproofing solution
8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting.