full screen background image

Why Does My Basement Smell Musty?

793

How to Get Rid of That Musty Odor in Your Basement

If you’ve started to notice a musty smell in your basement, you can be sure that you: need basement waterproofing…and you have mold in your home!

What causes a basement to smell bad?

musty odor in basementIt can be several factors, all having to do with mold and mildew growth.

See, basements have the potential to be dark, damp, dank places. Water and moisture can get in though small cracks and holes in the walls, around window wells, or though the floor.

Once there, the water will start to breed mold. And, as long as moisture is there, so will mold.

To get rid of that musty smell in your basement, do the following:

  • Instal a high quality dehumidifier like Humidex
  • Make sure that your gutters carry water away from the home, reducing the risk of water getting into the basement
  • Have the basement waterproofed

The last point is key.

While a dehumidifier does a great job of reducing the humidity in the basement (mold loves humid, moist climates), it can’t reduce water that gets in through cracks or around window wells. If you’re noticing these problems, then you have structural damages that need to be fixed right away.

Once the basement has been waterproofed, all moisture and water will be gone, killing the mold and not allowing it to grow back. Mold is very dangerous to your family’s health…It can cause sinus problems, asthma, respiratory problems and has even been linked to some kinds of cancers.

Mold is lethal to pets and is especially damaging to children.

It is key that you kill mold and keep it from coming back! Sprays and cleaners only get rid of mold for a very short time…if moisture remains, mold will return.

  • To learn more about how to keep your basement free of musty smells and other odors with waterproofing, please call us at 610-495-9111.