Why Do You Need to Waterproof Your Basement
Your Man Cave or basement can be one of your most valued treasures. Yet, if it is not waterproofed, you can lose it all. Learn why you need to waterproof your basement.
There are many reasons why you should waterproof your basement or crawlspace, and the following are just a few of these:
- Because floods and leaks happen! Even if you haven’t had a water problem yet, it doesn’t mean you will not have a major issue right around the corner. Floods and leaks are a mess, a hassle, and they can be expensive to clean up and repair.
- Your builder was not a waterproofer. While withstanding moisture should be a consideration that your home builder takes into account, it isn’t the primary focus. When your home was built, waterproofing was most likely not done, and if it was, the work most likely is not up to the quality one would get with a professional waterproofer.
- Your home shifts and settles. Over time, your home’s foundation can settle and shift. Usually this is due to the changes in moisture levels in the surrounding soil, but sometimes this is sped up because of improper planning by the builder, poor construction techniques, or lower quality materials. Whatever the reason, these things happen, and they can lead to cracks and other changes that can allow more moisture and even leakage into your basement.
- Mold, mildew, and bacteria. Fungi like mold and mildew as well as bacteria all grow in dark, warm, moist places, and basements definitely fit the bill. Some people are sensitive to mold and mildew, making them susceptible to getting ill from just the smallest exposure. Other molds will make almost anyone ill who comes in contact with them. Bacteria also grows in damp basements, and while some bacteria is harmless, others can be deadly. Waterproofing your basement can protect you and your loved ones from these threats.
- Basement moisture can destroy the structure. A little bit of dampness can go a long way when it comes to damaging your property. Water and moisture can cause cracks and bowing in foundation walls, among other problems, and with time, these can lead to serious structural damage. Additionally, moisture can lead to the growth of mold and bacteria; these can make your family sick, but they also degrade building materials. Finally, the pests that can come in through foundation cracks caused by moisture like rodents or termites can literally eat away at the building, eventually making the home not suitable for living in.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON OUR BASEMENT WATERPROOFING SERVICES,CONTACT US TODAY.