Warning Signs of Basement Flooding
Basements are prone to flooding, because it is literally the lowest level of a house, and many times built underground. Apart from the repairs that will be necessary, imagine also having to get rid of irreplaceable family items, furniture and equipment that were stored in the basement. This is why looking out for basement flooding warning signs is vital to keeping your basement in prime condition. Being well versed in the causes of basement flooding and knowing how to prevent leaks can save you a lot of time and money.
Water will generally take the path of least resistance, as a result of this, water can easily enter your basement if not properly waterproofed. These are the six most common ways through which water can enter your home.
- Trough the wall
- Through the floor
- Cracks in the foundation of the house
- In the seams between the wall and floor
- Clogged rain gutters can dump all the water against the foundation of a home increasing the likelihood of water entering the home.
A basement can be flooded during a winter storm, a rapid snow melt during spring or even during dry weather. As a result, your loved possessions could be ruined, and you will have a huge mess to clean up. Other problems include:
- Unpleasant odors
- Harmful molds – mold only needs 20% moisture to grow and creates a health hazard
- Humidity and damp air
- Structural damage that can negatively affect the appeal and value of your home
Obviously, if water is pooling in your basement then it is probably already too late to look out for basement flooding warning signs and time to call for professional help. Fortunately basement leaks are not uncommon and we at Constructions Solutions 911 are very familiar with all types of flooding.
Here is a list of warning signs. If yous see any of these, your basement is at risk of flooding.
- Moist or wet foundation or basement walls
- Excess humidity in the basement air
- Wet foundation wall cracks
- Musty odor
- Signs of mold or mildew
- Deterioration or rotting of carpet or wood
- crystal or powder like deposits on concrete walls
- small puddles of water on the basement floor
If you have seen any of these warnings signs, your basement is at risk of flooding.
It is time to give us a call. Don’t take these warning signs of basement flooding lightly. We can help you prevent bigger issues.