Basement Solutions provides comprehensive services, including mold removal and remediation.
Sometimes mold issues are not very difficult to address and can be handled fairly easily. However, some other times, issues such as leaky basement walls, basement flooding’s, foundation issues, cracked walls and other sources of moisture can turn a mold issue into a serious one, affecting your health.
This article has some good tips about the causes and dangers of mold, as well as how to fix some of the issues.
And remember to call Basement Solutions for any questions or needs.
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Your Health and Mold
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Mold removal is necessary indoors. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.
Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, follow the guidelines.
- If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, you should probably hire a professional. Basement Solutions offers comprehensive mold removal and remediation services.
- If you suspect that the heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold, hire a qualified professional with good references.
- If you have health concerns, consult a health professional before starting cleanup, and let us the experts at basements911.com handle your mold problem.