Bowing walls and cracks in your foundation, no matter how serious they may seem are a terrible sight for a homeowner. Homes and businesses face the threat of much more serious damage if not fixed quickly and the right way .
The least troubling issue that can occur is simply water or moisture in the basement. However, even this can lead to mold and other issues. In the worst-case scenario, the entire wall or foundation can collapse. Therefore, it is critical to know when your basement walls and foundation are bowing, buckling and cracking. If you know early enough, the problem can be fixed before it’s too late!
Signs to Look For
- Horizontal or step-like cracking along edges of the foundation walls
- Diagonal cracking specifically at the corners of poured concrete foundation walls
- Inward bowing or bulging of walls and irregular shapes
- Walls sliding inward along the base
- Walls leaning in where they meet the ceiling
- Expansive clay soils present around the structure
- Soils or clays with high moisture surrounding or under the foundation of the home
The amount of pressure also varies and depends on:
- The type of soil around the foundation
- The amount of moisture in the soil
- How far underground the foundation is
- The temperature conditions
Gutters and downspouts also play their part and should be checked routinely. Water can collect in the soil around your home as it runs through the downspouts and if not directed away from your foundation, the soil will become heavier and more expansive. When this happens, the chance of walls bowing and cracking increases immensely!
Our Basement Solutions foundation specialists have established a system used for most every wall repair job. Its methods are incredibly effective and last as long as your home will stand!
First we punch holes in the area of the crack every 3-4 feet, depending on the structural setup. This gives us room to insert a 1/2 inch rebar with 40,000 pound tensile strength, overlapped and wire tied across the cracks. Once the rebar is locked into place, we can assure you that the wall is structurally safe from any more bowing or buckling.
The WRONG way to “fix” this problem is to try and fill in the cracks or patch them hoping that they will never come back. This is not a permanent nor safe solution and it will only cost you more time and money.
If you have further questions, give us a call today at 610-495-9111 for a FREE INSPECTION or please visit www.basements911.com for more detailed information on services.