Basements during the late winter and early spring months are a haven for mold and mildew. At first, the showing signs may not seem like much of a threat. This is rarely the case as with time, the problems worsen and pose threats to the health of your family and pets.
What makes mold and mildew so dangerous are the presence of mycotoxins and they are especially prominent in black mold.
When mold wants to spread, it produces spores that release into their environments and travel through the air. We then breathe these spores in, they are known to cause allergies, asthma and in some cases death.
What are some of the signs?
- Musty or unusual odor
- Discoloration of walls and floors
- Drips and puddles of water
- High humidity
- Small cracks and leaks
- Damp or bowing walls
- Bubbling or peeling paint or wallpaper
- Windows or doors sticking
- Sill and frame seperation
Mold thrives in dark and damp areas of the home. Unfortunately, the most common place to find these conditions is the basement. Homeowners in regions of high humidity, flooding or persistent rainfall need to be weary of these signs. If they occur and aren’t solvable DIY, which they usually aren’t, that’s where we come in.
If mold has already begun to grow in your home, there are two approaches we take to removal and remediation.
- Spray and wipe involves the use of two separate chemicals, one for stain removal and one to prevent mold from returning.
- Dry Ice Blasting is a bit more involved but arguably more effective. It is a process that consists of a machine that resembles a power-washer, blasts small dry-ice pellets at the infected portions of the basement and completely eliminates the mold at the source with no cleanup.
If you think mold is starting to take form in your basement or you are even suspicious of it doing so, don’t hesitate. We have the experience and knowledge to assure your home is safe and mold-free!
For questions, give us a call today at 610-495-9111 for a FREE INSPECTION or please visit www.basements911.com for more detailed information on our services.