How to Rub Out Black Mold in Kennet Square & Oxford PA with Basement Waterproofing
Black mold is a real killer…and it’s in a lot more homes than most people realize. Waterproofing your basement is the easiest and most direct route to kill off black mold. This type of mold is responsible for all kinds of health problems, including death. It can easily effect the lungs of the young and elderly, and will do enormous damage to your pets.
If you want to keep your family’s health safe, you need to waterproof your basement in Oxford and Kennet Square PA. Pennsylvania was been hit hard recently by Hurricane Irene and reports of mold in the schools, government buildings, and worst of all, people’s homes have increased dramatically.
How does water get into your basement in the first place?
- Beneath the footer – If an exterior drainage system is clogged, water in that system may be redirected toward the house. When this happens, water will push its way in underneath the footer.
- Wall Cracks – water will enter cracks in the walls and, in block walls, fill the cores of the blocks. This usually comes from lateral pressure from the soil outside.
- Floor Cracks – water built up beneath a home can seep up through the floor. When you get water from under the floor, you are going to have big time mold and foundation problems
- Cold Seams – Cold seams occur when fresh concrete is poured over concrete that has already dried. These commonly occur between the footer, the floor, and the walls of a basement and they create a potential weak spot in the foundation.
- Cracks in mortar joints – Like cold seams, these cracks present potential weak points in the foundation and may allow water to enter the basement.
According to a report from the University of Minnesota, “the simplest and least costly techniques are to remove excessive internal moisture sources in the basement (humidifiers, cooking) and ventilate other sources (clothes dryer, bathroom).”
This will help to keep your basement drier, reducing the possibility of mold proliferation. This is most easily done by having basement waterproofing performed. This keeps water outside of your home…it seals cracks and cold seams and doesn’t allow water to permeate the concrete foundation.
It goes a step further by drying out and preventing any future moisture, which is mold’s source of food. This is the surest way to make sure mold stays out of your home and stays out.