We at Basement Solutions focus on informing the customer as much as possible before doing business. Before we carry out any type of work involving mold remediation, we like to provide a few good tips about the causes and dangers of mold, as well as some solutions.
Sometimes mold issues are not very difficult to address and can be handled fairly easily. However, some other times, issues such as leaky basement walls, basement flooding, foundation issues and other sources of moisture can turn a small mold issue into a serious one. If not treated in a timely fashion, the effects on you, your family, and even your pets can be dangerous.
Mold takes many different shapes and forms in various settings. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter but indoors, mold growth is not nearly as welcomed. Molds reproduce by releasing spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye but spread more easily than most think. Mold begins to grow indoors when spores land on wet surfaces as moisture is it’s food source. There are many types of mold but none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Mold Poses Health Problems
Molds have the potential to cause a variety of health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Some common allergic responses include fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, congestion, red eyes and even skin rashes. Molds can also especially affect people with asthma and these symptoms can be both immediate or delayed. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing and evolving but what we do know is that you do NOT want it in your home.
What makes mold remediation difficult is its resiliency. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then most likely the mold problem will come back. This is where we come in at Basement Solutions. Our team of professionals has the experience and equipment to get the job done right both quickly, and for the right price.
Prevention and Control Tips
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors, ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Install a sump pump if you do not already have one, especially if your home lies in an area of low elevation or high precipitation.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly to assure water is properly being funneled and directed away from the home’s foundation.
- Regularly check on the well-being of water heaters and dehumidifiers, assuring that your space is not accumulating too much moisture.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to just peel.
Remember that the main source for mold growth is moisture. Keep your basement dry with Basement Solutions, and you can eliminate the risk of mold right away.
Give us a call today at 610-495-9111 for a free estimate or visit our website at https://basements911.com/ for more information!