Why Basement Waterproofing and Mold Removal is Essential for Residents in PA, NJ, and DE in the Spring
As leaves and flowers start to appear on trees like a million tiny eyes awakening
from a long sleep, it is time to take a look at your house to make sure something else has not spawned in places that can harm you, your family and pets.
Warm weather and a damp basement is a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
It can ruin not only your health but destroy your house. If mildew or mold is present it needs to be removed. Mold removal is extremely important for your health.
According to the website, www.ehow.com there are many signs that can send up the red flag for trouble.
This website is dedicated to giving sound, unbiased advise on healthy living. Here are some excerpts from its section on mold and mildew in the basement.
Mold can destroy many parts of your house
• It is easy to identify mold on basement walls and floors, but did you know mold can also grow on paneling, boards and shelves? When checking for mold in a basement, always move objects and furniture that may be hiding mold from sight. Even if you do not have mold, you may not be completely safe from health risks. Mildew and microorganisms can also grow in a wet basement.
• A wet basement is the perfect breeding ground for black mold and mildew to grow and multiply. If mold and mildew are not properly washed from basement walls using a cleaning solution specifically designed to kill mold and mildew, mold and mildew particles can cause irritation and infection in the lungs. These health risks increase with the level of exposure that is experienced. If mold particles are continuously breathed in, severe respiratory damage can occur.
• Microorganisms thrive in wet basements and can pose severe health risks to persons who are ill or have a compromised immune system. Other susceptible individuals include infants, young children and the elderly. Exposure to microorganisms can cause an allergic response including symptoms such as a runny nose, itchy-watery eyes, coughing, sneezing and throat irritation, according to ToxicBlackMold.com. More severe symptoms can also occur including sinusitis and asthma.
Asthma and Other Problems
• A wet basement is the result of damp conditions and poor circulation. Exposure to trapped, low quality air can cause irritation to the throat, nose, eyes and mouth and, in some individuals, cause asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and humidifier fever. According to the EPA, highly susceptible individuals, such as persons who are very young, old or sick, can even suffer greater health effects from indoor air pollution than outdoor air pollution. Venting a basement and using air purifiers can prevent stale, stagnant, low quality air.
Basement Solutions offers free estimates at you home with no obligation. For a free estimate of Basement Waterproofing in PA, NJ, DE – Please call our office at 610-495-9111 to set up and appointment. If you are reading this off-site you can contract us at our website, www.basements911.com.
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS ASK THE CONTRACTOR IF THEY HAVE A LICENSE!
At Basement Solutions, WE DRY HARDER!