full screen background image

How Waterproofing Your Basement in Asbury Park & Belmar NJ Helps with Fall Mold Removal

1634

Asbury Park & Belmar Basement Waterproofing

As the Fall season approaches, basement waterproofing in Asbury Park, Belmar and other Jersey shore towns becomes even more important than normal. Increased rain fall, cooler temperatures but still high humidity can lead to water getting into the basement and potential mold growth! And, as the last storms roll in and bring high tides and flood the streets, its ultra important to get your waterproofing done now.

The cooler weather and changing of the leaves makes many of us happy. But, it also makes mold happy as well!…and that’s dangerous.

The weather get colder but often humidity stays high, especially around rain storms and your basement becomes a breeding ground for mold and mildew.

Mold is extremely harmful. It has the potential to destroy your home and your health. If mildew or mold is present it needs to be removed as soon as possible. Mold removal is extremely important for your health. And, for those who live in Absbury Park and Belmar (and all of the Jersey Shore), mold removal is a must! Poor drainage systems and excess rain in these areas can mean mega damage to your home and health!

According to the website, www.ehow.com there are many signs that can send up the red flag for trouble.

This website is dedicated to giving sound, unbiased advise on healthy living. Here are some excerpts from its section on mold and mildew in the basement.

Mold Can Cause Havoc in Your Walls and In Your Lungs!

• It is easy to identify mold on basement walls and floors, but did you know mold can also grow on paneling, boards and shelves? When checking for mold in a basement, always move objects and furniture that may be hiding mold from sight. Even if you do not have mold, you may not be completely safe from health risks. Mildew and microorganisms can also grow in a wet basement.

asbury park nj basement waterproofingRespiratory Infections

• A wet or damp basement is the perfect breeding ground for black mold and mildew to grow and multiply. If mold and mildew are not properly washed from basement walls using a cleaning solution specifically designed to kill mold and mildew, mold and mildew particles can cause irritation and infection in the lungs. These health risks increase with the level of exposure that is experienced. If mold particles are continuously breathed in, severe respiratory damage can occur.

Allergic Reactions

• Microorganisms thrive in wet basements and can pose severe health risks to persons who are ill or have a compromised immune system. Other susceptible individuals include infants, young children and the elderly. Exposure to microorganisms can cause an allergic response including symptoms such as a runny nose, itchy-watery eyes, coughing, sneezing and throat irritation, according to ToxicBlackMold.com.

More severe symptoms can also occur including sinusitis and asthma.

Asthma and Other Problems

• A wet basement is the result of damp conditions and poor circulation. Exposure to trapped, low quality air can cause irritation to the throat, nose, eyes and mouth and, in some individuals, cause asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis and humidifier fever. According to the EPA, highly susceptible individuals, such as persons who are very young, old or sick, can even suffer greater health effects from indoor air pollution than outdoor air pollution. Venting a basement and using air purifiers can prevent stale, stagnant, low quality air.