Prevent Basement Flooding
We at constructions solutions 911 are experts in basement waterproofing and foundation repairs. We also like to provide simple DIY solutions for our customers. Here are some valuable tips on how to prevent basement flooding. Follow these simple steps to keep your basement dry and save you some aggravation.
- Keep gutters free of debris and position downspouts away from the foundation. The goal is to drain storm water at least three feet away, so if necessary, consider running extensions or troughs. This is a very simple and inexpensive way to prevent basement flooding.
- Inspect the exterior foundation and your basement’s walls and floors. Use epoxy to fill any foundation cracks and if warning signs are detected, apply masonry sealer indoors. For more serious problems, call us at basements solutions 911. We have solutions to meet your needs and budget.
- If you have a sump pump, check to make sure its well is free of debris. If you have a portable pump, position it in the lowest part of the basement and be sure it’s connected to a power source. Consider installing a battery back up for your sump pump to ensure that you prevent basement flooding in the event of a power outage.
- If you haven’t had your sewer inspected or your septic tank cleaned, spring is a good time to address these concerns. During periods of prolonged, heavy rainfall, clogged sewers and septic tanks are disasters waiting to happen.
- If you have below-grade basement windows, install window well covers that will fasten securely to your home’s foundation. Clear acrylic covers allow light to enter, even as they keep out rain, leaves, and pests.
- Remember a sump pump only works if you have power. If you live in an area plagued with frequent storms and power outages, a generator may be a long-term investment worth considering.
Remember that we at basements solutions 911 are experts in basement waterproofing. If you have any questions, please CONTACT US TODAY.