What is Mold?
Mold is a sub-group of the fungi kingdom. There are tens of thousands of different types of molds. Therefore there are many different types of mold services. Mold spores are generally classified into three different categories when pertaining to health: toxic, pathogenic and allergenic.
A toxic mold is one that produces a mycotoxin that has been associated with adverse affects in almost anyone if present in elevations.
A pathogenic mold will affect those who are already immune-compromised. Many mold types fall into this category. Immune-compromised individuals include, but are not limited to, cancer patients, elderly, pregnant women, small children with undeveloped immune systems, people with heart disease, others who suffer from illness, and some animals.
An allergenic mold is one that may affect some but not others. This effect is very similar to an animal or pollen allergy. An allergenic mold can sometimes divide a family because only one person may complain of symptoms while others do not have concern for the problem and ultimately do not address it. Some individuals may build a tolerance to an allergen, while others become more susceptible after chronic exposure.
Mold needs three things to grow: moisture, temperature and a food source. The best way to prevent mold is to control the humidity in your home. Wet basements can be perfect breeding grounds for mold. If your basement already has mold, removal and remediation may be necessary, along with the repair of the wet basement issue.
Mold remediation and removal is easiest and least expensive the sooner you start. Don’t wait until the mold has infiltrated the wall board, ceiling tiles and other porous materials before stopping it.
Mold in your home is very dangerous to your health. Even more dangerous is what is known as “Black Mold.”
If you suspect that you have black mold in your home, please call us at 877-495-9111 asap.
What is black mold is, please watch this short video:
Possible Mold Health Hazards
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. These people should stay away from areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas. Individuals with health problems that appear to have been exposed to Bioaerosol exposure should see their medical doctor or for a referral to medical doctor who are trained in environmental medicine or related specialties and are knowledgeable about these types of exposures. There are only a limited number of documented cases of serious health problems from indoor exposure to fungal spores. Illnesses can result from high level, short-term exposures, as well as lower level, long-term exposures. The most common symptoms reported from exposures in an indoor environment are a runny nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion, and aggravation of asthma, headache and fatigue. Immune compromised individuals should consider not entering the structure and should gain the advice of a medical doctor before doing so. If anyone entering the structure becomes sick or feels ill in any way, they should leave the structure and not return. Health problems associated with high levels of airborne mold spores include allergic reactions, asthma episodes, irritations of the eye, nose and throat, infections, sinus congestion, and other respiratory problems. When inhaled, mold spores may germinate, attaching to cells along the respiratory tract and causing further problems in those with weak immune systems.