Benefits of Basement Waterproofing

Water in your basement can lead to a variety of problems, including:

  • Structural Damage
  • Mold and Mildew Growth
  • Increased Energy Costs
  • Cracks in the Foundation
  • Structural Damage
  • Mold and Mildew Growth
  • Increased Energy Costs
  • Cracks in the Foundation
  • Un used space for Storage
  • Ruined Finished Basements

Basement waterproofing is extremely beneficial to the home owner, especially those in the NJ, DE and PA areas where rain and snow can bring with them major water problems for the basement and foundation. And, these problems are becoming more prevalent in the North East and Mid-Atlantic regions as increasing rain and snow falls hit the areas each spring, winter and fall.

Basement waterproofing prevents or fixes these problems and can benefit the home owner in four major ways:

1. Waterproofing Increase Home Value

For most people, their home is their biggest investment. They take great pride in the home and the amount of money and work that they’ve put into it. Studies by realtors have shown that simply waterproofing your basement drives your home’s value up by 25% or more! This can be a significant amount of money earned on your investment and will far outweigh the initial costs of having the job done.

Those who choose not to waterproof can expect a serious drop in asking price when it comes time to sell.

2.Waterproofing Keeps Mold From Growing In Your Basement

Mold Spores are everywhere and they grow on any organic surface, given the right conditions.  For Mold growth to happen, mold spores require organic material such as drywall, paper boxes or wood furniture for the mold spore to grow and colonize into mold.  

Mold growth also requires moisture, warmth and oxygen.  The one thing that a homeowner can control is the moisture.  By eliminating moisture out of the equation by waterproofing and controlling relative humidity with proper dehumidification and ventilation, mold spores will not grow in your basement environment.  Mold and mildew love to make themselves at home in your basement. If it is dark and has any signs of water or water damages, chances are it has mold and/or mildew. Sadly, many homeowners simply accept the mold and mildew as part of having a basement.

However, the truth is that both mold and mildew are very dangerous to your health! Mold, especially black mold, can be fatal. Children and pets are at higher risks to exposure. Mold spreads and reproduces with air-borne spores. These spores get into the air in the home and will make their way upstairs into the main air circulation of the home. You and your family then breathe in this air and the spores get into your lungs and respiratory system. Considering that mold has been linked to a variety of maladies including asthma, sinus infections and even cancer, it’s a wise move to make sure that mold is killed and kept out of the home.

Waterproofing your basement offers a permanent solution to mold and mildew. Unlike commercial cleaners that simply remove mold on a very short-term basis, waterproofing protects your home for good. This is because waterproofing removes water from the basement.  And with proper dehumidification mold spores cannot grow and ruin great space that your family can use for either storage, play space or finished space.  When water & moisture goes, so does mold because mold lives and grows on moisture. And, getting back to #1, homes with any signs of mold will sell for much less than those without.

3. Basement Waterproofing Increases Living Space

A wet, moldy, musty, stinky basement is no place to live. When you waterproof and make your basement dry and clean, it can then be used for more than just a place to dump your old boxes. Finished, dry basements can be converted into:

  • Play room for the kids
  • Home gym
  • Entertainment room
  • Home office

The possibilities are endless and you can literally transform your musty old basement into a fresh, dry brand-new floor in your home.

4. Waterproofing Protects Your Home’s Foundation

Whenever water gets into your basement, whether from snow or rain, it has the potential to weaken your foundation. Rain water is quite corrosive and acidic.  When water travels thru soil that is acidic, the acidic water that sits inside a block wall foundation can literally “eat away” the concrete block walls and make them weaker over time.  It all starts with general dampness at the lower walls.  White powder starts to appear on the walls which is called efflorescence.  This is the first sign that you have a moisture problem which can escalate rather quickly into foundation issues and of course water issues inside the basement.  Water that gets inside the walls of your basement can ruin the entire foundation.

Waterproofing insures that water will not be able to permeate the walls and ruin your home’s foundation. This keeps the foundation strong and damage-free.

For poured concrete walls, cracks can appear over time which tells the homeowner that shifting has occurred and caused the wall to separate or crack.  Cracks leaking or non-leaking, need to be fixed right away to prevent more foundation damage in the future.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search