Waterproofing your Basement
There are many good reasons why you should consider waterproofing your basement. Here are just a few of them
Safeguard Your Home Investment
It’s often said your home is your castle, and as such you want to do everything in your power to preserve the investment you’ve made. Stray water which could find its way into the home through a leaky basement can begin to wear down your foundation, flooring, walls, and more. After all the months of careful decorating and ensuring your new house was a home, why let a non-waterproofed basement slowly erode your investment? By taking action, you are successfully helping to safeguard your home’s foundation and other components from deterioration.
Prevent Damage To Stored Items
If you or your family doesn’t intend to do much living in the basement area of your home, it’s still an excellent place to store items. That is, if the basement is waterproof. A leaky and moist basement can wreak havoc on items such as books, photo albums, seasonal clothing and bedding, electronics, unused kids toys, and more. By waterproofing your basement, you’re ensuring that the items you have stored there will be safe and dry as the day they were put in.
Increase Living Space And Value
Many people consider their basement to be a drafty, damp place to store their seasonal junk. However, many people’s basements account for an entire floor of their home. In fact, when speaking in terms of square feet, a basement can account for nearly 1/2 of a home’s total space! Why let all that room go to waste? By professionally waterproofing your basement, you’re opening up your home to a large amount of clean extra living space.
Avoid Long-Term Risks To Your Health
Water and humidity are the key components in facilitating the growth of toxic molds. These molds can severely damage your respiratory system, cause headaches, itchy skin and eyes, runny nose, sneezing, and other irritation. These side effects can range from mild to severe, depending on how sensitive to the mold spores each person is. Many people aren’t worried about the growth of toxic molds, thinking it can take years and years for the problem to become severe enough to affect a person’s health. However, this is not true. In fact, toxic amounts of black mold can easily grow in as little as 24 to 48 hours.